Sorry for the gap in communication. It’s been a busy 2019 so far. Here’s what’s been going on since the last newsletter.
The Jarvis Collegiate Institute Preservation and Enhancement Fund has been established!
It’s official. I’ve set up a fund/scholarship with the school which will aim to do the following:
- Provide a scholarship for those who volunteer at least 40 hours towards the Jarvis Collegiate Institute Museum and Archives. Maximum 2 awards per year.
- Provide a funding source for the at school activities involved with cataloging and preserving Jarvis Collegiate Institute’s history (could involve purchase of equipment and supplies for archiving/preservation of materials all the way to construction/maintenance of proper facilities for the archiving of materials).
- Provide a funding source to preserve and enhance Jarvis Collegiate Institute (this would include activities such as restoring the Reid Murals, restoration/renovation of the auditorium, preservation and/or enhancement of the facilities/building, etc.)
- To provide a funding source to ensure JCI’s historic awards and prizes are maintained (so if it is determined that certain scholarships are short funds, this fund could preserve those scholarships if they have historical merit as determined by the donor and the school’s administration) or establish new awards, prizes and/or scholarships.
You can contribute to this fund using one of two methods:
- Mail a cheque to the school (the address is given below) c/o Diane Ledo. The cheque must be made out to “Toronto District School Board” and in the memo field write “JCI – P and E Fund” to ensure it gets directed to this fund.
- Go online using the following link: https://tdsb.schoolcashonline.com/Fee/Details/457/153/false/true
- In the “Fund Destination” drop-down menu select “Jarvis Collegiate Institute (1341)”
- In the “Message” field state the following: “For the JCI Preservation and Enhancement Fund” Note: If you don’t do this, the money will go to the general school donation fund and will not go towards this fund.
- Click “Add to Cart”
- Click “Continue”
- If you’re already registered, go ahead and sign in. If not, Register on the site and follow the prompts. You will be sent a registration confirmation email which you’ll have to click the link to verify your email address.
- Once you’re signed in, you can go to your cart and complete the checkout process. Follow the prompts. Once payment information is entered and your donation is confirmed you will be given the option to view your charitable receipt (which you can save/print for income tax purposes). You can always log back into the system and retrieve the receipt for the donation at anytime.
Here’s a link to the step-by-step process of how to do an online donation: Donations Link
If we’re able to generate sufficient funds, we’ll be able to increase the scholarships or work towards one of the other objectives of the fund. My goal is to fund it enough to give at least $100 per volunteer myself with the hopes that contributions will help increase that scholarship. I would also like to buy more equipment for the archives (some new scanners and computers) that will assist the students with their work. Ideally we will be able to generate enough funds to help one of the larger initiatives which is long overdue at the school.
This year, since we weren’t able to get volunteers for the archives, I have put the funds to a new scholarship called the Ambassador Scholarship. This award is being given to a student who may not be the top of their class, but has made significant contributions to student life and made an outreach to engaging with other schools and members of the community. Through their enrichment of JCI student life and the virtue of their volunteerism, their efforts are being recognized through this award. If sufficient funds are raised, we can continue this scholarship.
Now for what’s new on the site:
What’s to come:
Over the summer I plan to work on the remaining yearbooks from the 1940’s and do some more video posts.
Thank you so much for your support.